Decide on the course content and the content provider you want to use.
When deciding who to use for their course content, consider –
- Do they update their courses regularly? ACS DE does. We update our courses regularly as a matter of routine. We also respond immediately to any feedback from our students, staff and affiliates and update our courses accordingly.
- Do they offer a wide range of courses and other educational products that suit your requirements? ACS DE does. We offer over 700 courses and dozens of eBooks in a wide range of topics.
- Do they offer good customer service? Our customer service is excellent. Our administration staff and tutors are enthusiastic, knowledgeable and keen to help.
- Are they experienced in offering distance education? A lot of providers are offering distance education today, but that does not mean that they are experienced and knowledgeable about offering distance education, so choose someone who has been around for a while and knows their stuff. ACS DE has been around since 1979!
Setting up the Business Side of Things
You need to consider -
- Do you need to set up or expand your existing website? You may need to purchase a domain name.
- Do you have social media set up to promote your product? What about paid social media advertising?/
- How will you be paid? There are different payment gateways available such as Paypal and Stripe, but you need to find one that suits you.
- Set up automated responses and email templates. You want a uniform style of responding as this is essential to present a positive and business-like image.
- Find out more about analytics on your website and social media. Analytics are essential for online learning systems, accounting software, google analytics and so on.
- How to connect your accounting software, such as Quickbooks and Xero to your sales and enrolments.
Developing Online Services
When offering education to students, you need to ensure that there is
- A protected students’ area to house your courses, so a secure learning management system.
- A storefront from which to promote and sell your services.
- A separate and secure administration area.
So, consider that ACS can help you to set up your online educational services . Some content providers require you to find your own LMS (learning management system). ACS Distance Education offers an LMS so there are no unexpected extra expenses. Our LMS is also regularly updated. The updates are instant. As soon as a change is made and uploaded, it is available to our affiliates. You can view an example of our LMS .
It is better to go with a hosted online platform. ACS DE has developed their own LMS from scratch to fit specifically with the requirements of running an online education business. This allows you to launch a fully functional school without having to input thousands of pieces of information or writing code to get started.
You then simply upload your courses.
Marketing your School
When you have set up your school, you need to market it. There are many ways to do this –
- Through social media – this can be through paid and unpaid advertising, developing relationships with potential students.
- Networking – through networking events both face to face and online.
- Paid print and online advertising, such as Google Adwords, Facebook adverts etc.
- Joining industry organisations to promote your courses.
- Email outs and mail out.